In January 2016, the Youth Future Coordinator worked with Northfield High School administration and Tackling Obstacles and Raising College Hopes (TORCH) to recruit and hire five NHS juniors to serve as Career Exploration Student Coaches. These students are trained on resume development and career research resources and provide advice and guidance to their peers through one-on-one coaching sessions during the school day. The Career Exploration Student Coaches also work together to coordinate career panels and web-based career resources, and promote the opportunities and resources for students at the high school, as well as Arcadia Charter School and the Area Learning Center.
Meet the coaches
Abigail Andrade Flores ’17
- Career Interests: Engineering or something STEM related!
- Inspiration: This is a cool quote that influenced my decision to take this opportunity to help my peers: “Success has nothing to do with what you gain in life or accomplish for yourself. It’s what you do for others.” – Danny Thomas
Andrew Kivell ’17
- Career Interests: Computer design, engineering
- Inspiration: “The ones who are crazy enough to think they can change the world, are the ones who do.” – Steve Jobs
Kaylee Lino ’17
- Career Interests: Medicine (radiology, surgery or sonography)
- Inspiration: “The struggle you’re in today is developing the strength you need for tomorrow.”
Cynthia Terry ’17
- Career Interests: Law
- Inspiration: “If opportunity doesn’t knock, build a door” – Milton Berle
Nicky Vazquez ’17
- Career Interests: Mechanical engineering
- Inspiration: A person named Mauro was at a presentation for Pre-college Regional Leadership Development Conference (RLDC) and he inspired me to do my best and redefine the stereotype of Latinos in college. Anything can be done, as long as you set your mind to it!